Monday, January 10, 2011

The Stupid Chicken





"So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." -1 Corinthians 10:12&13

In the spring, summer and fall, I don't have to haul water buckets out to the barn. In the warmer months, my pond is unfrozen and my animals can tend to their own thirst. However, in the winter months (November through March), I haul about 20 gallons worth of water daily to the barn.

Each morning, as I do this, I see a row of frantic chickens lined up on the edge of the 30 gallon water tub. Each chicken is poised and ready to be the first to stretch down and get the first sip of sparkling, fresh water. The problem arises when they start slipping and sliding because they've stretched too far. Then, they begin flapping madly to regain their balance. In the barrage of flapping, sliding chickens, a few are doomed to be dunked. With as cold as it gets, this is actually a real concern because they could get frostbitten toes or worse.

A few days ago, as I watched this normal display of poultry intelligence, I began to reflect on the Scripture that says, "Take heed lest ye fall..." Basically, the most certain way to make sure you're going to fall is by becoming arrogant (Proverbs 16:18 "Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall"). In my own life, I have most become arrogant in the area of believing I'm impervious to certain sins.

Routinely, I make a mistake of believing that just because I'm about the Lord's business, that God's got my back and I don't need to worry about spiritual warfare. Wrong! Spiritual warfare is likely at it's worst when I'm about the Lord's business! Don't get me wrong-- God totally is watching out for me, but that doesn't mean I should let my sword drag or leave my helmet at home; this makes for a sloppy warrior! I recently have been left with the sensation that I'm reaching too far down to help people and my balance is becoming unsteady. If I fall, I know I'll freak out-- and my freaking out will likely trip up even more people. My feet must be planted firmly and I must walk circumspectly as I help people.

"Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered, or you may learn his ways and get yourself ensnared." -Proverbs 22:24-25

In other words: Don't perch next to the stupid chicken that you know will knock you down...and also, don't be the stupid chicken yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment