Wednesday, January 26, 2011

the Prodigals





"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was moved with pity. He ran and threw his arms around him and kissed him warmly." -Luke 15:20

In the story of the prodigal son in Luke 15, a young boy takes his inheritance from his father and runs off to squander it. He learns that good things run out, carnal pleasures cannot eternally satisfy, and that humility is the gateway to experiencing the fullness of love. Upon returning home with head hung low, his father's broken heart overflows with compassion and forgiveness because he is just so happy to see his beloved son again.

The Lord has seen fit to give me some dogs with prodigal tendencies. As soon as they see that we have carelessly left a gate unlatched or a door left slightly ajar, they take off to get drunk on adventure. They take off to expand their territory and explore the unknown. What they find after a couple of hours is that their adventuring has left them tired and hungry. This outside world offers not the comforts of a loving home. There is no warm bed, no familiar pats on the head, and no brimming bowl of dog food. If they want what they're truly desiring, they need to go home to get it.

When my dogs reach this point, they come to me in a groveling, crawling manner with their heads hung low. Oftentimes, I even hear a relieved whimper. I call to them and kneel on the ground. Upon approaching me, they bow as if to ask forgiveness or perhaps just to show gratefulness. What they don't seem to know is that even if they didn't display this submission, I would still be happy to have them in my arms. My goal is just to have them home and not to prove a point. If I were to yell and beat them, they would likely not be as eager to return home.

What people fail to realize is that God is like the father in the prodigal son story, and like me when I get my lost dog back. Oftentimes, people are afraid to approach God when they know they've messed up big time. They figure, "Wow, I've come in on the grace card so many times before that there's no way there's still enough mercy for me to keep doing it"-- so they put off returning to their Father because they suspect he must be angry and they want to avoid punishment. Dear friends, God isn't standing there with one hand outstretched and hiding a rod behind His back with the other. He just wants you home again. We can make His joy complete by not avoiding the inevitable. In the process, our joy will be renewed because He will still give us what we need despite our foolishness. Trust me when I say our foolishness does not shock and surprise God. This is why His mercies are new every day.

"You don't realize that God's kindness is intended to lead you to turn from your sins." -Romans 2:4

Fear does not motivate me to return to my God half as much as it motivates me down darker roads. Perfect love casts out all fear. Perfect Love calls from deep to deep, longing to have me in His embrace. Lord, thank you for being Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment