Thursday, December 16, 2010

Feed From Your Own Trough





Ecclesiastes 5:19-20 says, "When God gives any man wealth and possession, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work--this is a gift of God. He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart."


No matter what I feed my goats-- whether hay or grain-- they suffer daily from a particular folly. Their deeply desired food will fall in plenteousness like manna from the heavens before their eager faces, and they will lower their heads to enjoy. However, after only a few seconds of enjoying their food, they will lift their head, look at their neighbor enjoying their food, and proceed to abandon their share to go after their neighbor's. When they sample a mouthful of their neighbor's food, they realize it tastes about the same as what they were enjoying before, so they attempt to return to their previous feeding spot. However, as they had moved on, their space that was vacant became filled by another hungry goat, so their previous share is no longer available. So the stage is set for a mad shoving match for the tastiest bite in the barn.

Proverbs 23:4-5 says, "Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint. Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle."

Nothing we could ever acquire will satisfy us. If our deepest satisfaction is not found in God, then we will constantly find ourselves lifting our head to observe our neighbor's level of delight. God alone holds us all in His hand, and by His will alone will all things come to pass. He provides for our every need; and if our delight is in Him, we will find all that our redeemed heart desires will appear in perfect timing. The portion that is enjoyed by our friends and neighbors is their portion. It was never meant for us. Desiring it will only poison our hearts.

"The sorrows of those will increase who run after other gods. I will not pour out their libations of blood or take up their names on my lips. Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance." (Psalm 16:4-6)

Enjoy all that was given to you, because it was a gift from a loving Father. It was made just for you and no one else. Desire nothing that hasn't poured directly from the Hand of God, because anything gained in a sinful way will not satisfy you. Be content even with who are as a person, because you are fearfully and wonderfully made and all that you are was deliberately formed by your omniscient Maker.

Why can't I be the sky?
Why can't I be alone
And never desire to fly?
The beauty, the passion,
The tantalizing colors...
Why is the sky
Something that I
Will have to long to be?

Or what is the sea?
Floating, falling,
And deep as can be;
The beauty, the passion,
The vast, tumbling bowl of life...
O, what is the sea?
And what is me?
And why am I not it?

What could be the earth?
Stable and loving;
The foundation of all birth?
The beauty, the passion,
The beginning and the end...
I wonder of the earth--
Full of mourning and such mirth!
Of this I will never know.

Why am I not a star?
Bright and quick
And spirited they are!
The beauty, the passion,
The blink of all eyes...
The arms of a star
Are reaching so far,
Yet I can never reach it's fingers.

I often wonder, 'What am I?'
Am I here for a moment
Just to say goodbye?
The beauty, the passion
Of an ever-fleeting thought...
What is the point of I?
A hello and a goodbye--
There must be something more to be!

Twinkle, twinkle, little star!
And splash, you waves, wherever you are!
Be full of life, you hardy planet!
And bloom, O tree, wherever you're planted.



And smile, beloved creature, for there is nothing more aside from Christ that our heart could ever desire! It is finished, and He is enough....He is my portion forever!

1 comment: