Saturday, August 21, 2010

Of Bread and Spirit



No major religions in the world (yes, I'm sure there's some obscure cult out there that is different) impose fasting upon their animals. Does a Muslim have his camel fast? Does a Buddhist have his dog fast? Does a Jew have his sheep fast? The answer will be a resounding 'no' because there is no higher level of character building the camel, the dog or the sheep can obtain by fasting.

Here at Provision Farm, we feed our livestock every day. If we don't, they waste away. They are a product. Any troubles they suffer could never be remedied by the practice of fasting. All of their troubles will be strictly physical or behavioral. The only remedy for these is either veterinary care or the the slaughterhouse.

Have we animalized humans to think that our problems can only be remedied the same way? That we either should medicate ourselves or euthanize? Or, more discreetly, do we placate ourselves with less offensive addictions and defaming people in our hearts?

This week, we have been practicing the beautiful art of fasting. It refines humans the way it cannot refine an animal. Even those of false religions who do not know the Lord know that fasting is an essential part of seeking character-building and a deeper spiritual walk (even if that walk is assuredly misdirected).

Matthew 4:4 "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God."

Our soul cannot be sustained by food. True soul food is delving into the word of God. The scriptures have been likened to food throughout. Ezekiel was given a scroll to eat and it tasted like honey. For young believers, the word of God feeds them like milk and for mature believers, it feeds them like meat. "Open wide your mouth and I will fill it!" -Psalm 81:10. When God puts His word in our mouth, it's as good as food! It's soul food!

"I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven (manna), but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world...I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away." -John 6:32-37

This is a wonderful revelation we have the privilege of being partakers of that we cannot bring our animals into. Christ came that we may have life and have it more abundantly. If life was sustained only by food, then we'd have a meaningless existence serving only our belly. Esau found out how useless a god his belly is. Every evil person who lives only for the next "thing" to satisfy himself will in turn never be truly satisfied. Only the Bread of Life will ever truly satisfy.

"Is not this not the kind of fast I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter--when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I." -Isaiah 58:6-9

Lord, I am made in your image and nothing this earth produces can satisfy me for more than a short while. In your image, I am a spiritual being in need of spiritual food. Satisfy me, Lord, in my spirit first. Through me, accomplish your great wonders so that your name may be glorified and echo throughout the far reaches of the human heart and all creation. My mouth is open wide...fill it.

No comments:

Post a Comment