Monday, April 11, 2011

The Devourer






I've been having a problem in the barnyard lately. I noticed that some of my baby goats were not growing properly. I've checked their mother and she's producing plenty of milk. Still, they are stunted. I've puzzled and puzzled as to why they are growing improperly. However, today I went outside and noticed a horrifying sight: the beef steer was suckling the milk from the mother goat! No wonder these babies are stunted-- it's because their milk is being devoured by a cow!

Now, granted my cow is not Satan, but this brought to mind one of the names of Satan to me: the Devourer. The Devourer is intent upon his own satisfaction and leaves those weaker than himself to become even more weak. The Devourer oppresses rather than serves. The Devourer is permitted by God to reduce the wealth of people who disobey God and will not honor Him with their possessions. However, when we come into obedience, the Devourer is yanked back from our territory so that our wealth may once again be restored.

"Can a person rob God? Yet you rob me. But you ask, 'How have we robbed you?' In tenths and voluntary contributions. A curse is on you, on your whole nation, because you rob me. Bring the whole tenth into the storehouse, so that there will be food in my house, and put me to the test,' says the Lord of Hosts (Lord of the armies of heaven), 'See if I won't open for you the floodgates of heaven and pour out for you a blessing far beyond your needs. For your sakes I will forbid the devourer to destroy the yield from your soil; and your vine will not lose its fruit before harvest-time." Malachi 3:8-11

Though the disobedient are allowed to be chastened by God by way of the Devourer, God is the defender of the weak and will only tolerate the wicked yoke of oppression for so long.

"May Adonai cut off all flattering lips and the tongue that speaks so proudly, those who say, 'By our tongues, we will prevail; our lips are with us. Who can master us?' 'Because the poor are oppressed, because the needy are groaning, I will now rise up,' says Adonai, 'and grant security to those whom they scorn'...You, Adonai, protect us; guard us forever from this generation-- the wicked strut about everywhere when vileness is held in general esteem."

Now-- to go chasten an arrogant, oppressive bovine and restore the rightful inheritance to weakened baby goats! Hallelujah! I shall manage my barnyard as Adonai manages the whole of the earth! Glory to Him and His perfect ways!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you write! Everything around you is an opportunity to see the Lord's hand and hear His wisdom. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to watch my own 'barnyard' (aka - my kids!) for the lessons He wants to teach me.

    J

    ReplyDelete