Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Faith Like Mammaries





"Give, and you will receive gifts--the full measure, compacted, shaken together and overflowing, will be put right in your lap. For the measure with which you measure out will be used to measure back to you!" -Luke 6:38

I think of this passage when I'm milking. I'm sure some of you are familiar with the principle of milking and the physiology with how an udder works. For those of you who don't, I'll break it down:

A mom goat/cow/whatever mammal makes milk for her baby. Baby drinks the milk and then the udder is empty. At the sensation of an empty udder, the mom's body begins to produce more milk to feed baby again because we all know that no matter how many times you fill a belly, it's going to get empty again! Anyway, if the baby doesn't nurse for whatever reason, the full udder will get tight and uncomfortable. This sends a signal to the mom's brain to stop producing because the udder can't take any more. This is why it's important to stay on a strict schedule when you milk, because if the udder gets too tight, and that signal is given to her, you won't get so much milk. It's an excellent example of the supply and demand principle.

Now that you're all filled in, I'll let you know how this is a very spiritual principle. A friend prophesied to me recently when I sold a bunch of animals that it meant that there was now room in my barn for more and I would increase. I didn't think how very biblical that was at the time, but I see it now. An empty barn is much like an empty udder...it fills. When we make room for more, more is given.

When we live life with an open hand, much passes through it. If we allow what we currently have to be passed along, more will come into our hand from the hand of God. If our fist is tightly closed, God cannot give us more.

For an example, as a fulfillment to that prophesy: I sold a bunch of baby goats not too long ago when my friend prophesied, and I was happy for the barn space. Two weeks ago, I got a completely random phone call from the man I buy hay from asking me to just 'take' his five alpine goats! His wife had just had twins and the last thing they wanted was to tend their goats. Three are adult pregnant mamas and two were castrated males that needed some butchering. We received milk and meat without even asking when we honestly didn't even need it all that much! This in turn, allows me to keep my prices low, so I can pass along the blessing. My goats udders and my barn indeed, are all tight and bursting with blessings! Riches pour out from them and my blessings become other's blessings.

Pass it on!

1 comment:

  1. Good writing once again! Love the connection of faith and mammories.

    ReplyDelete