Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Praise in a Barren Land



"For even if the fig tree doesn't blossom, and no fruit is on the vines, even if the the olive tree fails to produce, and the fields yield no food at all, even if the sheep vanish from the sheep pen, and there are no cows in the stalls; still, I will rejoice in Adonai, I will take joy in the God of my salvation. Elohim Adonai is my strength! He makes me swift and sure-footed as a deer and enables me to stride over my high places." -Habakkuk 3:17-19

I must admit, I'm no Habakkuk. When things are not as fruitful as I desire here on my farm, I fret. I begin to think that maybe I'm doing something wrong; or maybe God is punishing me for something. Do you know what? That could very well be the case. Guess what else? It's good and praise worthy even if I am doing something wrong, or being disobedient to God. Why? Because if I'm doing something wrong, the natural consequences are allowing me to learn something useful so that I don't repeat my mistakes and I can become wise. If I'm being disciplined because of disobedience, that's also good, because it means that God hasn't let me go and that He wants me to walk rightly. The Lord disciplines those He loves, and I know that He loves me!

Years ago, I learned a principle called 'consecration'. The literal meaning from the dictionary is 'to dedicate'. If I've dedicated the works of my hands, and indeed, my whole farm to God, then I'm not responsible for what He chooses to do with it. Okay, so I didn't really learn consecration years ago, I just kind of understood the concept! I wasn't ready to fully put it into practice.

About a year ago, I read the story of Harold Hill (christian engineer) and his daughter. His daughter was facing a divorce and decided to deal with it by trying to kill herself. She was rushed to the emergency room with a belly full of pills. They pumped her stomach, but the doctors said that she was already too poisoned and it was too late. She would probably not make it more than a few hours. What was Harold and his wife to do? Pray. They said,"Lord, heal our daughter." The Lord replied with,"Your daughter? Did you make her? If it's your daughter you want healed, prepare for a funeral. If it's my daughter you want healed, prepare for a miracle." Harold and his wife adjusted their hearts and stopped praying amiss after that, and they indeed prayed," Lord, heal your daughter. We've messed her up real good. Only you can fix her." Indeed, God came through to reward them for a dear lesson learned. It was the same lesson Abraham learned in accordance with his son, Isaac. That which is the Lord's will be dealt with according to His will. That which we keep trying to steal from the Father's hands, will become messed up by our inadequacy.

"Ownership binds you. Stewardship frees you." -Harold Hill

This past summer, my very valuable boer goat buck became ill. He was lethargic and weak. I did everything I could in my power and then stopped. I knew by experience that the more I relied on my own 'know how' the more I failed. I set aside all my medicines, then I stretched out my hand toward the ailing goat and began praying in tongues. "Father," I said,"Thank you for seeing me fit to care for your creatures. This isn't my goat. He's your goat under my care. We are both under your care. Heal your goat and don't let him suffer." I walked away and left him. The next day, I came out to find him on his feet as if nothing had happened. I continue to employ this prayer and principle whenever I'm encountered with a 'crisis'.

You are not forgotten. You are not left alone. God sees all that you do in a given day and is waiting for you to adjust your heart. Consecrate the things you call 'your own' and step down from the throne. Be a humble steward and the True King will reward you for your faithfulness. Trust Him. He can do a better job than you any day. I'm not picking on you, either. I also have had to do this in my life. I failed and failed and failed and lost many things dear to me because I labored for things that I thought were mine to labor for. No, they are His. Same as all else, I am His, too, and He longs for me to consecrate even myself.

This is a daily project! Go and be at peace! If all things in your life appear fruitless, rejoice anyway! Your life is God's and you are not alone.

2 comments:

  1. Adrienne - yours words are timely. Thank you for reminding me of what is not mine. I feel a rush of peace as I'm reminded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were laboring and trying our own efforts, I got a lot of exercise. Digging graves is great aerobics, though not popular at the YMCA. But it's not fruitful. I praise God, though we were not fruitful, He did teach me about cancelling word curses. Release everything to Him. Yoda said,"Fear of loss is a path to the dark side." :)

    ReplyDelete